TOP NEWS

Reaching For Clear Skies.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Feathery Friend.

I just got myself a birdy fwiend.


She is a little teenage cockatiel that I bought off a man who could no longer have her because his residence had a no pets policy. He did a REALLY good job raising this little one. Her name is Pepper, I feel like changing her name, but I'm not quite sure what to call her. She is definitely a little cutie, Denne warmed up to her REALLY fast. To be honest, I wanted to get a male that was white and pied, but the second I met this little girl, I was absolutely in love.


Before stopping at the man's place, which was on the other side of the city, we when to petstock. There is a Petstock at Oxley, just a few minutes drive away, however it was closed due to the extreme weather. Luckily, the Indooroopilly Petstock was open. I bought a huge cage because I wanted to make sure that if I were to get another bird, there would still be plenty of space for the both of them. I wanted the little one to have as much space as possible, considering she will be staying in the when I'm not around. Don't want her to be bored and restricted.


Yeah... you can see how big that cage is. I made sure to do some research about what types of cages were good for a small bird and the type of toys I should get her. The cage could fit 3 or so small birds, has well spaced and sturdy bars and a tray at the bottom for easy cleaning. Everything else about it is quite standard. Also bought a rope swing, a straw nest, a ladder made of rope and natural wood, some hanging honey seed treats and a small hanging perch. I got a $10 discount for a missing bolt at the bottom that they replaced (no, I didn't ask for it) and $9 discount from my points on my loyalty card. Pretty solid. There are still things that I'd like to get her. More toys! To make sure she is entertained when I'm gone. I absolutely love Petstock. The most friendly and animal friendly pet shop. Whenever you enter the store, there is ALWAYS someone who is ABSOLUTELY in love with animals. They are always enthusiastic and I LOVE their energy. It's also so nice to have their little pets around so you can play with. It makes me feel a lot more at home and a lot less awkward. Lovely people. Been to 3/4 different petstock places, and never have I had an experience that is less than amazing.

I'm looking forward to getting a table top play gym. This one in particular from petbarn.
I also want to get a natural wooden perch to hang on the outside of the cage since she seems to really like sitting outside, next to me. She has been resorting to my whiteboard that I have leaning against my table. I was also thinking of getting a mirror and some random toys here and there. I want to get some treats so I can start teaching her tricks =3. Since she is a female though, there is a VERY low chance that I can get her to talk. Hence, I'm also planning to get a male cockatiel within the next half a year. Their food is cheap, so there isn't really going to be a problem with another one joining the family. 

After the shops, we drove to the other side of brisbane to meet the cockatiels. I took a liking to her the most and I decided to get her. When I came to the door, a man come to open the door and his expression was, "holly shit wtf." I don't think he was expecting someone of my stature and appearance to come. He looked a bit skeptical hahas. But after a bit of talking, he seemed a bit more reassured. I felt bad taking the little one away from him, he looked sad and it broke my heart. But I know that I am going to take extra good care of her and that he wasn't able to keep her anyways. So we went our separate ways, and Denne and I took her home. It's been a nice day bonding with her and getting her used to her new environment. She can be a bit stubborn about getting off my shoulder, but she is nervous and she just wants to have head pets constantly. I want to do anything I can to make this experience as easy as it can be for her.


Ps. Denne, I love you.

0 comments: