TOP NEWS

Reaching For Clear Skies.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Momo the Moustache Parrot

I decided that it'd be nice to document my journey with Momo since the process for us to become companions will probably the long.


This is the picture of Mom from where I bought her. I was told her hatch date should within the first week of September. She has been there with her sister for around 6 months. This means that Momo is starting to go into the adolescence phase. Since she has been there for so long with such little human contact, she is now semi tame. She is ok with me being next to her and sitting on my shoulder, but she is TERRIFIED of hands. Her bites are killer and her little claws can pierce skin if she wants it to. She did a number on me when I put her into the transport box to take her home. 


Not too clear in this image, but there was quite the struggle. She wasn't to pleased. The first 24 hours consisted of her being absolutely silent, sitting on the same perch and no moving an inch. She didn't touch any food, more did she touch any water. It was getting worrying at this point when 24 hours pasted and there was no signs of her eating.


I prepared her a bowl of fresh food. Long beans, sprout mix, raw peanuts and bird zone sweet beans. The tiels got some too. I placed the food tight next to her favourite perch since she may have been too stressed out to go look for food.



She actually started eating the peanuts, then she picked at the long beans and eventually the sprouts. She seemed to be a bit clumsy with smaller pieces of food and that's something I need to keep in mind when I decide to eventually convert her onto pellets. The pellets have currently have are minis, which are more suited to cockatiels and small bird species. Momo is classified as a medium bird, and since she wasn't exposed to much pellets in the first half a year of her life, I might need to invest in bigger pellets for her. 


After eating, she began to move away from her perch and show signs of curiosity. 


Lets just zoom into her a bit


She was like that for hours. Trying to see what we were doing. She was still very unhappy with hands and will run for her life, but that is something we need to work with to improve over a span of a few months. It's not going to get better any time quick. Taking her out of the box and into the cage was difficult. Got a bite on a tendon on my thumb. There wasn't another way I could have allowed her to just step into the cage, so that was something that was difficult to avoid. I was told she was given a mainly seed diet with fresh vegetables everyday. I didn't have many options so I just opted for a small parrot seed blend for now. 


I was not TOO pleased with the variety. It could have been a bit better so I kinda mixed some existing stuff I had into the existing seed mix. Must more colour, much much more variety.


I added in dried vegetable mix from bird zone (Vege Delight). This mix consisted of  dehydrated Goji berries, carrots, red peppers, parsley, spinach, currants, poppy seed, sunflower kernels, peanuts, walnuts, dehulled millet, quinoa, rice and spices. I didn't add too much because the mix was quite expensive and it is much easier to get Momo to eat fresh vegetables and peanuts than it is for the tiels. Momo is much more willing to try all the foods I offer her and so not too much of this mix was needed.


I added some pellets into the mix as well so that I can pre-expose Momo to pellets. I know she wouldn't really go for the pellets, but its just so that she will know that the pellets are food when I decide that its time to start converting her over. I added the pellets she would be more willing to try such as the coloured and flavoured  nutriblend pellets and the parrot essentials pellet mix with dried fruits and nuts from Vetafarm. 

I still have the Roudybush pellets on hand. I would prefer to convert her onto those since they contain less sodium and don't have any colours and flavouring. It's just that I want her to have the easiest possible transition into my house. After day three, she has become much more vocal and willing to eat food, though the amount of food she is eating is still concerning. We will get that under wraps soon.








0 comments: