TOP NEWS

Reaching For Clear Skies.

Thursday, February 16, 2017

So You Have Depression?

There is something that really pisses me off. I fucking hate it when people self diagnose themselves with mental conditions like depression, anxiety disorders, phobias and OCD. I'm sorry, but shut the fuck up.

You don't have depression because you're sad, you're just sad. You probably don't have an OCD because you have to put something in a particular order, you are just picky or particular. You probably don't have PTSD, you are just conditioned to have a negative association to something due to a previous negative experience. You probably don't have anxiety just because you're nervous about an exam because you didn't study much throughout the semester, you just didn't prepare enough and recognize that there is a potential to fail. I can keep going on trust me, I know mental disorders.

A list of mental illnesses is great for understanding mental illness categories. This official mental illnesses list shows the DSM-5 categories.

I have to LIVE with a mental condition. I have to live through the fear and absolute fucking dread at every fucking turn in my life. I have to live with a condition that debilitates me with every aspect of my life. Its hard for me to try out new things. Something as simple to you as going out to eat can be such a stressful experience for me I would rather not eat. I would hate myself, criticize myself, and tell myself that I don't deserve anything. Everyday, I tell myself that I'm not good enough. Everything that I do in my life, there is fear constantly revolving around it. Sometimes doing something I love, like playing DOTA alone is so anxiety inducing that I'd rather sit there until Denne gets home or someone is on to play with me. At the end of every semester, I am filled with nothing but dread. No matter how much I do or how well I've done, IT'S NEVER GOOD ENOUGH. I experience emotions so intensely that I get exhausted from interacting with anyone or anything. I've tried to kill myself. 

Before I was diagnosed, I had a feeling that I had an anxiety issue, purely because I'm studying psychology and we did a unit on mood disorders. But never once did I parade it around. Because of my suspicions, I went to seek help. I got the diagnosis, and still, I did not parade it around. If you truly had anxiety or depression, something someone is always fucking throwing around these days, you wouldn't fucking flash it to the world. Do you know why? Because when you have these two conditions in particular, you feel SHAME. You feel like you are nothing but a piece of shit. And you feel SHAME for being affected by it. You look around at other people and compare yourself to them, feeling like you are a FAILURE and that you AREN'T WORTH EVEN THE OXYGEN ON THIS EARTH. 

It is ok to be sad. Life is full of twists and turns. Realistically, you can never be happy every single second of your life. We all go through hardships and it's ok to embrace your emotions. But mother fucker when you go around saying you have x condtion or x disorder, please shut the fuck up. 

Because there are people who actually have to live through those conditions. Don't belittle the battle we go through every single day of our lives. If you wouldn't diagnose yourself with cancer, don't do it with a mental condition.

0 comments: