TOP NEWS

Reaching For Clear Skies.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Anxiety and University

When anxiety meets university... man do I struggle. It's not that I struggle with the content itself, I struggle with the fear and the dread I get about every single piece of assessment. Before I got help, I would get overwhelmed with just the thought of being graded and judged on something that I produced. I'd have unattainable standards for myself, whilst feeling dread about all the possible outcomes. No matter what, in my head, I was never good enough. I wasn't good enough for my profession, I was not good enough for parents, I was not good enough to move forward in life... and most importantly, I was not good enough for myself. No matter what mark I get, I'd ask myself why I didn't do better. 

It was probably something I got from my parents. Something that I will never forget for the rest of my life probably is the reason for this mindset. In the first two years of high school, I tried with everything I had to get good grades. I wanted my parents to be proud of me. I wanted to make them happy. I came home with 5 As, and a B+. I was excited to show them how well I did. My dad replied, "Why isn't this one an A?" That was when I stopped trying in high school, and started rebelling from what they wanted of me. Perfect child, perfect grades. Perfect, in their eyes.

I was raised to think that I had to be this, I had to be that. That my value was in the letters printed on those report cards. I had to be better, because without it, I will be overshadowed by others, I won't have a career, and there are life-long consequences. I had to be better than everyone else, for me to have success. 

This molded my mindset so that I was never happy with myself, because I always had these standards for myself that is just plain stupid. I didn't look at my grades as was to learn and improve in the future. Lost points meant that I wasn't good enough, that I didn't amount to anything. 

Although university is hard, now that I am in my third year, and there are so many papers to write in psychology, ever since seeing Dr. Tan, life has been easier. I've learnt to understand myself better, and love myself more. I've learnt to understand my own limits, while working at it slowly to build it up. It's still about being better, and improving yourself in every aspect you can - but, it's without the guild, the blame, the patronizing, and the self hate. Rather, it's about accepting everything with a gentle heart, being compassionate and understanding to myself, and progressive improving at a reasonable pace. 

My grades improved significantly. It went from failing half of my first year courses, to getting mostly 6s and some 5s, within less than a year. Now (this semester), I'm working on managing my work, allowing myself time to go through everything, while maintaining my anxiety every step of the way. It's still a learning process, but I've achieved more in this year than I have ever achieved in my whole life. I've finished assessments many days, even over a week before my due date, compared to submitting it 2 minutes before the submission portal closes. For this semester so far, I've achieved nothing less than 75% on 6 papers, 4 mini exams, and a fuck tonne of quizzes. Yes, I have stumbled, panicked, and had broken down. But I can count it with one hand, with some to spare, so my fight with anxiety is going strong! 

Working towards more steps forward. It doesn't matter how big your steps are. Just take one step at a time, and eventually, you will gain the momentum to stride towards what you deserve in life. What is the point of taking a leap forward, when you end up taking a few steps back anyways? Don't be too hard on yourself. Process is process, no matter how large in size.

"Hustle Bustle, Denne!"

0 comments: